Friday, April 23, 2010

Hacking & Gaming

When examining the hacking and gaming culture, there are a lot of different levels of understanding, and the way that this technology is being used is changing drastically. Before this new technology age, people played games without using cheats, and nobody knew what hacking was. Now hacking into computers and cheating in computerized games is an every day thing.

Some people think about hacking and immediately bad things come to mind. I associate hacking with criminals and something that is illegal. But on the other hand, there are people out there who hack into systems every day. Hacking is everywhere; you may not realize it, but it is. Like right now, I’m using wireless internet that someone there is probably using too; but they gained access by hacking into it.

I don’t consider myself a “gamer,” and playing video games is not something I’m too familiar with. I did used to play games when I was younger, like Super Mario Brothers and Mario Kart. I didn’t use cheats when I played those games, but using cheats is something gamers use everyday. If I was a gamer, I would probably be guilty of using cheats too. It is understandable when you can’t get past a certain level in a game, you have no other choice! But then again, I can see the other side where people get angry about all of this cheating. If I had worked hard getting to a certain level by actually playing the game without any help, it would bother me if a friend kept bragging how much farther they got because of the cheat codes they used.

I know that some gaming systems are considering banning users by trying to eliminate cheating. I don’t think that’s necessary, I think people should be able to choose what they want to do, whether it involves cheating or not.

Hacking is also becoming a big issue in America, well, all over the world. In the movie, War Games, Matthew Broderick’s character is able to hack into the school’s computer from his home! He makes it seem so simple, perhaps it is for some technology savy folks. This is where issues come into play for people who have no knowledge about technical functionality. I don’t think it’s a big deal, you just don’t know what you’re missing. Some people are okay with playing games the normal way and beating all levels on your own. If people aren’t okay with that, they find some way to cheat or hack into the system.

I have mostly talked about negative ways where hacking comes into the picture, but there are actually some positive ways. The government is able to hack into our phone lines, computers, basically anything they want if we are suspected of terrorism. With this freedom, they have been able to catch criminals before they have committed the crime.

Our relationship with gaming and hacking shows a lot about our cultural connection to technology. We all want what we can’t have, and we do whatever we can to achieve it; like hacking into computer systems to change your grades, and cheating in games just to beat your friend. Hacking is become such a big part of our culture, and I think it will continue to keep on growing.

No comments:

Post a Comment